Sunday, October 23, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie

This isn't my picture BTW, I can barely take pictures of my kids, let alone my food! But it all looked something like this!

The crockpot is a staple in our home. I use it 2-3 times a week, even in the summer. Because it does the work for me, I have found I can adapt many recipes for it's use.

This week I tried crokpot chicken pot pie and my family LOVED it.

Hope you will enjoy it too...

Start in the morning.
Cook three chicken breasts with a can of cream of chicken soup on low for about 3-4 hours. About 4-5 hours before serving add three diced potatoes (skin off), and about a cup of carrot slices. At this point I threw in a cup of diced celery, but it was a little overdone.
Next time, I'll probably wait and add the celery until an hour before when you add a cup of frozen peas. At this point I added:
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 poultry seasoning or seasoned salt
1/2 tsp of onion powder (your could also skip the seasoned salt and just add onion salt)
(or something like that, I usually just stand over the crockpot and sprinkle)


So, just to recap:
9:00am-started the chicken and cream of chicken soup
12:00pm-added potatoes, carrots, and seasoning
4:00pm-add celery and peas (I actually used some left over edame the kids had refused to eat plain the night before. They loved it in this though.)

Now for the top:
There's a couple routes you could go:
Easiest:
Puff Pastry Sheets cut into squares(So fattening, and my kids were going nuts for them!) OR
Ready made pie crust cut into squares

Easy:
Bisquick Biscuits (side of box)

You go, Martha Stewart!
Homemade Bisquick Sour Cream Biscuits

3 c flour
1 1/2 T baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c cold butter

Mix these together with a wire pastry cutter, and add 1 egg and one cup of sour cream.

You could roll out and cut with the cream of chicken soup can, OR drop by spoonfuls on the baking sheet.
Bake @450 for 8-10 min.

Happy Baking!
Amber

2 comments: