Thursday, November 3, 2011

Upcycling with Glitter!

I must share some of my newest projects! On the way home from a 5K last week, we happened by a garage sale, this happy combination of events doesn't happen much (garage sale in the neighborhood+kids with me+ early Saturday morning=we stopped). I found a couple great frames with awesome potential, one brand new and some baskets all for about $4. I brought everything home and prepared to go to work.

One of the items I bought a brand new gold 14X18 frame with a gold mat to 11X14 that screamed circa 1995. I had just done a $1.99 11X14 print at Walgreens, so I knew I could use it, but how to make it work....

One night as I was browsing the aisles of Hobby Lobby, I came across a lovely assortment of glitter, which set my mind working. I could turn the mat over and glitterize the backside, paint the frame and viola!

I came up with this!


I LOVE it! It looks awesome in my daughters bedroom. I just spray painted the frame white (it was gold), flipped the mat over, and modge podged it. Then I spread the glitter around and pressed down firmly. When it was all covered, I sprayed it with a clear overcoat to keep it in place. SO easy.

Remember my little one's cute paper with her fall words on it. Yup, I upcycled this 25 cent frame, found this pumpkin color of spray paint on clearance at Hobby Lobby (I am loving the color!) and mounted on a fall piece of scrapbook paper. I think it's adorable.

Here's a basket I found at the garage sale, I painted it that lovely pumpkin color, added a ribbon and a tag, and now it holds my Thanksgiving books.

Here's some fun frames I've been collecting over the year ($1.25 @Target). I love printables. Free and they are so fun.



We are officially ready for Thanksgiving! Bring on the Gratitude!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE this! Who knew spray paint could become such a great friend. I think I'm feeling really inspired here ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, girl. The glitter does look super cool. I love that pumpkin color spray paint, so cute.

    ReplyDelete